Monday, July 2, 2018

Return and Report

Many of you know, this was a sad week for the Texas Houston South Mission. Our beloved and cherished Mission President, President Aaron Hall went home. He finished his 3 years here in the great THSM. It was sad to see him go, but onward and upward!

I am ecstatic to be under President Guthrie's service. He has nothing but love and kindness in his heart for this work, the people here in Houston, and us as his missionaries. Though I have yet to personally meet him, I know that he is called of God! :)

I have been greatly bless to have been able to serve under the guidance and direction of President Hall! He taught me so many plain and precious truths. Of these, one of my favorites is the principle of "Return & Report". 

Every week in the mission, I have sent a weekly email to President Hall reporting of my actions throughout the week. This form of accountability has helped me continue to improve and progress towards my vision, goals, and plans. I will forever be grateful for the accountability I have learned on my mission.

We have been taught that under the direction of Heavenly Father, Christ formed and created all things. After each of these creative periods, Christ would return to Heavenly Father and report upon His actions. Each time, he would give a full accounting and would display His full obedience to the instructions given to Him.

Because of this eternal truth of accountability, I have found myself on the wrong side of the fence, where I avoid accounting for the things I have done. Not because I didn't do them, but because I feel as if I could've done better. Too many times do we feel inadequate and that we have fallen short. In the words of one of our Apostles, "Believe in God and yourself. You are doing better than you think you are."

As I am completely honest in all of my actions, the power and Spirit of God is brought into my life more. That is what I desire most (see 3 Nephi 19:9). This simple yet profound principle is what can and will help us have a more Christ centered life.

As I was pondering what I should write on today, this principle stuck out most because of my own personal lack of accountability before my mission. Now, I have personally felt and partaken of the fruit (see 1 Nephi 8:10-16). And as it says, "...for I knew that it was desirable above all other fruit."

Brothers and Sisters, this is merely one of the "fruits". I promise in the name of our Savior, that as you strive to personally develop this attribute of accountability not only to those around you, but especially to our living Father in Heaven, that you will see an increased love for those around you, and you will have a better connection with those same people. 

I am eternally grateful for this gospel. Jesus Christ is my Savior. He lived and died for me, and because of Him, all of my sins, worries, and pains will be washed away. I have come to personally love Him and what He has done for me.

I love all of you!

-Elder J.T.Yates

 I got to see my boy, Elder Smith! He hit his one-year mark last month!

 The "Briefcase Boizzz"!!

 My best friend, Elder Whetzel and I!

We were blessed to receive a brand new 2018 Toyota Corolla with 12 miles on it. So, we took a pic next to our new "whip". Also, if any of you have ideas for a name for her, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment