Monday, April 9, 2018

Glory!

Well a fine howdy do to all of y'all!! Wasn't General Conference just amazing?? I am still basking in the heavenly glory that was given to us! I am so grateful for the messages that were provided for each of us. I hope and pray that every one of you received guidance and direction for your lives. 

This week was yet another experience of a lifetime! The Mac G area does not disappoint. Heavenly Father knew that I needed to be here, and that I would be able to benefit from these people. Now that I have spent 2 weeks in the area, it is weird to now see a white person working anywhere. Haha

Anyways... This week was a little rough. My physical muscles have finally caught up to my spiritual muscles. My legs are feeling like jello. Oh well... The members in this ward are amazing! 80% of the ward are young college students. The chapel is right across the street from the U of H. It is really fun being able to walk/bike around the ghetto streets of H-town! It has humbled me and helped me understand the people more.

Now for more of the experiences! I think I will do something like this for the remainder of my mission, that way you can get a feel for how my week is going.

Amazing experiences...
  • We went to Mid-town to this bike shop that is incredible! It's called Daniel Boone's Cycles. I love it!
  • I found the "Jack Yates High School". So close to my name, but just barely missed the mark on being as cool... Haha
  • We had some of our investigators this week! We have been helping them get closer to baptism.
  • After church, the senior missionary couple in our ward, the Stakers, asked if we had a dinner appointment, when we said no, they invited us over and we had delicious Salmon, Jello w/ fruit, and to top it off, a peach drink!
  • We went to the 50th anniversary of MLK's death. We literally signed up for civil unrest. Like, there were probably 200 people that were there! Half were screaming! Hahaha
Wanky experiences...
  • We went into a lesson with an investigator named Clarence. First off, let me say... If you have ever watched a scary movie that was based in a house. Then you now know what his house looks like. When we walked in, he told us that his family had gone to the store, and we were the only people there. But, when we were talking with him about baptism, he didn't understand that his baptism was invalid because the Priesthood wasn't involved. But, when I was speaking about Christ and how important His baptism was for us, literally the climax of the lesson, in the other room around the corner, there was something that fell... Freaking scary!
  • The next day after that lesson, we were walking back from the U of H, and a former investigator called after us and caught up to us as we were walking back to the church. He was insane. He wouldn't let us talk and kept talking over us. He was talking about how God's church shouldn't be locked. (Because he wanted to go inside and sleep there during the week) He also was screaming "GLORY!!!" At random intervals during our one sided conversation. He got within 2 feet of Elder Gilleland and me. Both of us were about to drop him, it's a good thing we didn't though.
That's a wrap on my week and the experiences that we have had. I love being in the Lord's vineyard and helping His children come closer to Him and His Son. I want all of you to ponder upon one talk that touched your heart the most. Re-read it, and then do something that most of you probably aren't used to doing this.. But, print that talk, and then mark it up! Underline, highlight, etc... Make it look colorful and amazing!

I then ask you to send me a picture of your most marked up page! I love you all! I can't wait to see how creative y'all are with your marking! 

-Elder J.T.Yates


MLK's 50th anniversary of his death. This guy was a civil unrest expert.



A super cool looking church building in Mid-town


 The Jack yates High School! Hahaha
 
 I had a photoshoot with my bike and made it look all decked out!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment